Want to add a bit of flair to your backyard? Or add some pop both in color and interesting lines? Ornamental grasses may be what you are looking for! Ornamental grasses can grow anywhere from a few inches to 7 feet tall including plume and the range of colors is amazing. Most residential properties only need one or two for contrast.
Hameln Fountain Grass
- A smaller variety with three distinctive seasons of stunning displays in full sun or part shade gardens.
- Fine-textured green grass blades up to 3 feet tall are tipped with soft, wheat-shaped seed heads.
- Foliage turns rust gold in autumn. Turns pale blonde in winter
- A favorite for birds and deer resistant.
“Little Bunny” Dwarf Fountain Grass
- Height is 16 to 20 inches high with a width of 2 feet.
- Terrific contrast for use in rock gardens, borders, foundation plantings, or in perennial beds.
- Foliage turns golden russet in fall.
- Drought tolerant when established and mature
Smoke Signal Grass
- Deer resistant.
- Up to 5 feet tall.
- Color is smoky blue/green and at the end of summer tipped in crimson.
- Turns reddish purple with wheat colored seed heads in the fall.
- Blooms from August to October.
- Requires full sun.
Blue Fescue Grass
- Excellent feature for a rock garden.
- Great to plant in front of a taller plant for contrast, as they only grow 8 to 12 inches.
- Needs a sunny location.
- Showy yellow horizontal bands and silver white plumes grow above the foliage and last all winter.
- 4 to 7 feet high.
- Needs full sun
- This is a large ornamental grass, attaining a mature height of up to 7 feet (measuring to the top of the plume; foliage will reach about 5 feet tall) with a spread of 3 to 5 feet.
- Tolerant of shade and damp conditions, it is can be grown in gardens unsuited to many other ornamental grasses as this one prefers moist soil.
- Feed zebra grass lightly every spring, using an application of a balanced, general-purpose garden fertilizer.
Karley Rose Fountain Grass
- Soft texture, colors change with the seasons.
- Full sun gets the best results, partial shade may reduce flowering.
- Graceful, upright smoky purple flower spikes that will shine when backlit by the sun.
- Good cold weather tolerance
- Requires good drainage.
- Height is about 4 feet
- Planting one or two of these grasses with their interesting colors and shapes can enliven your back, side or front yard.